Most of the individuals are facing issues with breathing and coughing. These issues are caused due to sore throats, excessive mucus, and secretions. Oral suctioning is a groundbreaking approach for individuals with severe pulmonary conditions, swallowing difficulties, or overblown secretions. Home suctioning is the process of taking Oral suctioning at home. The experts of Enfield Royal Clinic are providing oral suctioning with the latest cutting-edge technologies at your doorstep.
Table of Content
- Procedure time: 1 to 2 hours
- Results last: For several months to years
- Side Effects: No side effect
- Procedure type: Non-surgical procedure
What is Oral Suctioning?
Oral suctioning is a medical procedure in which a device is used to remove secretions and mucus from the throat and mouth. The catheter device is advanced carefully to remove secretions.The device is connected to a suctioning machine which creates pressure to draw out the flood or mucus.The technique to establish a patient’s airway is called Airway Management. Oral suction is often combined with chest physiotherapy techniques in which the doctor specifies your secretions by listening to your chest.The goal of oral suctioning is to clear the airpath, improve breathing and maintain the respiratory system.
Benefits of Taking Oral Suctioning at Home:
Taking Oral Suctioning at Home offers several benefits including:
- Reduces disruption to your daily routine.
- Promotes a sense of self-reliance and autonomy.
- Contributes to a more relaxed and comfortable suctioning experience.
- Minimise the risk of infections.
- Effectively removes obstructions.
- Minimise drooling.
- Prevents aspiration and pneumonia.
- Improves quality of life.
- Reduces costs of clinic stays.
Equipment Needed for Oral Suctioning at Home:
Enfield Royal Clinic provides sterilised and up-to-date supplies for efficient Home Suctioning in Abu Dhabi. Basic equipments are:
- Suction machine to give backward airflow.
- Airways management for oxygen pressures
- Normal saline.
- Container for collecting suctioned material.
How is The Procedure Done?
Strategy for Oral Therapy at Home is done in the following steps:
Pre-care instructions for the patient:
The patient may ensure some necessary pre-care instructions like:
- Avoid taking food two hours before the treatment.
- Use hot water.
- Brush your teeth properly.
- Do not use medicines without informing your doctor.
Preparations by the doctor:
Preparations done by the doctor before starting the treatment are:
- The Healthcare provider accesses an individual’s breathing pattern, lungs sound, and medical condition for proper evaluation.
- Then the doctor assures proper Catheter Care and Maintenance.
- The specialist ensures all the necessary equipment and supplies.
- They will wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- After that the practitioner wears gloves and masks for personal protection.
- Finally, the doctor sets the individual in a suitable position.
- Treatment starts by applying a water-soluble lubricant to the tip of the catheter to facilitate smooth insertion.
- The doctor gently inserts the suctioning device into the individual’s mouth, following the natural curvature of the oral cavity.
- After insertion, the practitioner advances the catheter to the back of the throat while monitoring the individual’s response to ensure comfort.
- Once the catheter is properly positioned, intermittent suction is applied by connecting the catheter to the suction device.
- The doctor uses the rotating motion with the catheter to ensure comprehensive suctioning of secretion from the oral cavity.
- This suctioning process is repeated as necessary to properly clear secretions according to the natural curvature of the mouth.
- After suctioning, the doctor cleans the patient’s mouth with a clean and moist cloth to maintain oral hygiene.
Patients have to apply the following instructions after the treatment to gain maximum results.
- Use soft brushes.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Pay attention to your breathing patterns.
- Stay hydrated to promote thinning of secretions.
- Do not use too much cold water.
- Avoid activities that may put stress on your respiratory system.
Why do Children Need Oral Suctioning?
Children may face difficulty in breathing due to several reasons. A stuffy nose and excess mucus can cause tribulation for children to eat and sleep. Oral suctioning is necessary to maintain the inner health of your child. Some common reasons in children to take oral suctioning are:
- Chest infection.
- Common cold.
- Deep coughing.
Why Choose us?
It is important to perform oral suctioning safely to minimise the risk of injury or introducing infections. At Enfield Royal Clinic, we have trained medical professionals with knowledge of precautions, proper techniques, and potential risks of the procedure. Contact us and get your oral suctioning therapy at your doorstep.
Book an Appointment!
Book an appointment and embrace freedom and independence with our efficient Oral Suctioning at Home. Our healthcare providers are ready to serve you anytime.
The results may last for several months but it depends on your chest health and type of secretions.
No, we cannot perform oral suctioning without a doctor. Proper healthcare and nursing are required because the inner organs of our throats are too sensitive.
There are no potential risks of oral suctioning. The patient can feel a little bit of irritation and sore throat for two days.
No, oral suctioning is a comfortable process that has no pain that's why it is effective for children.
No, oral suctioning is not suggested for pregnant women because it may damage the baby's skin.
Yes, patients with artificial airways can easily suction their throats because the airways path needs proper cleaning and hygiene.