Some kids are born with an opening in their mouth that goes from the lips to the upper portion of the mouth. It makes it difficult for the baby to drink and swallow and as they age it may hinder their speech as well. The only solution to correct this deformity is the surgical treatment to close the opening. The Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery in Abu Dhabi also known as Craniofacial helps overcome and fix the deformity of the face and the mouth.
Table of Content
Essence of Treatment:
The main purpose of the surgery is to help improve the function of the mouth of the patient. This helps the patient to eat, drink, swallow, and talk. The deformity of the facial features is also addressed with the lip surgery.
- It closes the opening in the upper portion of the mouth and the lips
- It enhances the appearance of the patient
- The functioning of the mouth is improved
- It becomes easier and more convenient for the child to eat and drink
- The surgery helps in the speech of the baby
- The deformity of the nose and lips are addressed
The surgery results in the closure of the opening on the lip and the mouth of the baby so that the baby does not face any difficulty in eating or drinking. The results are instant however the recovery may take some time depending on how healthy the baby is and how well the baby is taken care of.
- A healthy baby or a person who can undergo the surgery
- Somebody with an opening in their mouth or the lip area
- A good candidate is a baby less than one year old
- A child whose parents or guardians have realistic expectations from the surgery
- A kid whose functioning of the mouth and speech is to be improved
For the surgery, the surgeon has a detailed discussion with the parents of the child undergoing the surgery. The health history of the child is discussed and the current condition is examined. If the baby is healthy enough to undergo the surgery, the surgeon plans the operation.
The surgery is customized according to the individual’s condition. It is a very complicated and delicate surgery hence an experienced surgeon performs it. A list of instructions is given to the child’s guardians to prepare the patient for the surgery.
On the day of surgery, the child mustn’t drink milk for 4 to 6 hours. However clear liquids may be given until 2 hours before the treatment starts. The medications prescribed are to be given according to the prescription.
- Before the Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery in Abu Dhabi & Al Ain starts, the child is given a bath
- After that, the surgeon and his team meet with the patient’s guardians before going for the surgery
- The surgery is carried out under general anesthesia so that the child does not feel any discomfort and the surgeon can perform the surgery properly
- Once the child falls asleep, the surgeon starts the surgery first by placing a device into the patient’s mouth to keep it open
- Incisions are then made on either side of the cleft
- The incision goes from the lip up to the nose
- The underlying tissues and muscles are rearranged through the incisions
- Those are then sutured together closing the opening on the lip using removable or dissolvable stitches
- The surgical site is then bandaged to avoid any risk of infection due to the opening of the wound
Aftercare and Recovery:
After the surgery, care is important to pace up the healing process. Initially, the child may feel some pain and discomfort for which pain-relieving medications are prescribed to be given on time.
- It is vital that the child drinks enough liquids and is kept hydrated and takes a soft but healthy diet
- The doctor may give an ointment to apply to the wound according to prescription
- There is swelling and some bruising around and on the surgical site
- If removable stitches are used, the child is to be brought in after a week to remove the sutures
The recovery of the wound normally takes a few weeks or a month depending on how healthy the baby is. The wound left behind a mark that fades away over time.
- There is a risk of anesthesia during the surgery
- If not taken care of, there is a possibility of infection on the surgical site
- There is a chance of bleeding during the surgery
- There is maybe a need for revision surgery in the future
The average cost for the Cleft Lip and Palate Surgery in Abu Dhabi ranges from AED 10,000 to AED 30,000. The actual cost depends on the complexity of the surgery and the experience of the surgeon performing the surgery. The final cost is determined by the surgeon after the initial consultation.
How Long do the Results Last?
The results of the surgery are permanent and last for a lifetime. However, with growing age, the child may require revision surgery as well depending on their condition. The final surgery is often carried out when the child is fifteen or sixteen years old.
Book an Appointment!
The surgeons at the Enfield Royal Clinic are highly qualified and experienced professionals that perform the best surgeries. If you are looking for the finest treatments in Abu Dhabi, fill up the form given below to get a free initial appointment.