The septum is technically referred to as the line (made up of bone and cartilage) that separates one’s nostrils. A deviated septum is a medical condition in which the wall gets displaced from its normal position and moves to the other side thus causing one nostril to become much smaller than the other. This causes trouble breathing. The only way to treat this condition is surgery. All other treatments could ease your pain temporarily but the problem remains. Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction in Abu Dhabi & Al Ain is the name surgical procedure that is employed to treat a deviated septum.
Table of Content
Essence of Treatment:
The nasal septum is corrected in the treatment. It is the separation between both nasal passages that are sometimes deviated. This deviated septum can affect the breathing of a person as well. The nose surgery aims to straighten the bone and improve the breathing of the individual.
Why Get the Surgery?
It is important to get the surgery done as a deviated septum can be seriously problematic for the following reasons.
- Firstly, it could cause serious facial/nasal pain.
- Secondly, it causes difficulty breathing as the passage of air is blocked from one nostril.
- Thirdly, it could also potentially trigger nasal bleeding in some cases.
- Moreover, if untreated, it could also lead to problems like sinusitis.
- Lastly, it appears abnormal as it changes the projection of the nose on the face.
The surgery results in improved breathing and straightening of the nose. This is done by correcting the septum in the nose and improving the nasal airways. The recovery takes about a month after which the results are experienced. The final results take about three to four months or more depending on the healing process of the individual.
- It improves the breathing thereby improving the overall quality of life of the patient
- The patient gets rid of the nasal and facial pain caused due to the problematic septum
- It cures the problem of sinusitis
- The problem of snoring and headaches are also cured with the treatment
- The individual sleeps better at night after the treatment
- If the nose appears to be sideways, its appearance is corrected with the surgery
A good candidate for Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction in Abu Dhabi is
- Anybody with a deviated nasal septum
- If a person has trouble breathing they need to get the surgery done
- The surgical procedure is a cure for individuals suffering from sinusitis
- If the patient suffers from nasal or facial pain due to the septum, surgery is the right option for them
- Somebody whose life is significantly affected due to the deviated septum
How Does it Work?
This procedure works by correcting the septum that separates the nasal passages. An incision is made on the inside of the nose and is then corrected. The surgeon may insert silicone splints for this purpose. After that, the incision is sutured and the nose is bandaged to prevent bleeding.
The surgeon discusses the issues and concerns with the patient in the initial consultation. Then the medical history is reviewed to make sure the patient does not suffer from any medical condition that may be affected by or may affect the treatment.
The surgeon carries out physical tests to check the current condition of the patient and may also draw some blood work. Then the whole procedure of the treatment is explained in detail to prepare the patient for the surgery. A list of instructions is also given to be followed by the patient.
Blood-thinning medications and smoking should be avoided to prevent any complications during and after the surgery.
- It is a surgical procedure carried out under local or general anesthesia. The use of anesthesia depends on the patient’s and the surgeon’s choice.
- An incision is made on the inside of the nose on the soft lining on the septum from one nostril
- Through the incision, the deviated cartilage or the bone is repaired by removing the deviated septum
- After removing the cartilage, the surgeon may place soft silicone splints in the nose
- The incision is then sutured using stitches
- The nose is then bandaged to prevent any bleeding from the surgical site
- The whole procedure takes less than an hour to perform.
Aftercare and Recovery:
After the surgery, the surgeon gives a list of post-care instructions to be followed by the patient. Pain medications are prescribed to minimize the discomfort and pain felt after the surgery. Special care needs to be taken after the procedure and the patient should make sure they do not blow their nose as it can affect the healing process and also result in a lot of pain.
The healing process takes some time just like with any other surgical procedure. In the first week, there is some swelling and stuffiness around the nose that starts getting better after the first week. The complete recovery takes about a month however the patient can go about their normal routine in a week.
There are some general side effects of the procedure just like with any other surgery. These include some discomfort and pain right after the procedure that is addressed by the pain medications. There is also a risk of infection if not taken care of properly. In this case, the doctor should be consulted immediately.
If the patient is on blood-thinning medications, they may also suffer from bleeding during the procedure thus they are advised to discontinue any blood thinner before and after the procedure. The surgery is to be carried out by an experienced surgeon as otherwise, the surgery may end up changing the shape of the nose.
The cost of Septoplasty and Turbinate Reduction in Abu Dhabi range is AED 19,999. The actual cost is determined by the surgeon after the initial consultation and examination of the current condition. It usually depends on the complexity of the procedure.
How Long do the Results Last?
The results of the surgery are long-lasting and permanent. However, the patient needs to take special care of the nose as an injury or any other type of external pressure can result in the deviation of the septum thus requiring revision surgery.
Book an Appointment!
The highly qualified and experienced surgeons at the Enfield Royal Clinic carry out surgical procedures that provide the most effective and desired results. If you have troubled breathing, get an initial checkup from the best surgeons in Abu Dhabi by simply filling up the consultation form given below